Paul Budde's History Archives

Ancestry Paul Budde (Ootmarsum – Oss)

Ancestry of Paul Budde (Netherlands)

Moves to Ootmarsum

Two uncles of my great-grandfather Gerhard, the Friedrich Anton, born in 1807 and a shoemaker by profession, and his older brother Gerhard Hermann both left Nordhorn and moved to Ootmarsum. ( See Nordhorn)

Friedrich Anton became the first Budde citizen of Ootmarsum. (see also: The Catholic community of Nordhorn). Here he married in 1832 – Johanna Maria ten Bokkum – and after her death in 1837, Francisca Antonia Reinders. The sons of his first marriage moved to Nijverdal and Amsterdam, those of his 2ndmarriage stayed in Ootmarsum.

Gerhard Hermann marries Maria Stijgerwald from Nordhorn, they must have left Nordhorn around 1830, and their three sons were born in Zutphen, Velp and Ootmarsum. The whole family died in Ootmarsum between 1842 and 1844.

Around this time Bernhard Jacob Budde from the Emsburen lineage arrived in Ootmarsum, where he marries Johanna Groothuis, but he only remained there for a short time (1835 – 1845) as he and his family moved on to America in 1845.

So, around 1840 three different Budde families lived in Ootmarsum.

Back to Nordhorn: Bernhard continues the inn. Gerhard moves to Ootmarsum (the soon after his return from the French-German war in 1871. It is the same year of the fire (8th September). It is not known whether the fire or his return from war had anything to do with his moving out. It is interesting to note that he was a watchmaker. As mentioned before, at least one Wolterink in Nordhorn was a watchmaker.

Ootmarsum had in those days around 1,500/1,600 inhabitants.

Der Altkrieger

In 1875 Gerhard marries, at the age of 27, Johanna the daughter of baker Hendrik Warning. According to oral tradition Gerhard often spoke with an ‘ old, slow and careful’ voice about the wars he had fought. This observation was recorded in a letter from his son Theodorus’s friend Leo Brons after he had heard of my great grandfather’s death in 1916.

Gerhard passed his watchmaking trade on to his sons Hendrik and my grandfather Theodorus. However it was Theodorus who continued the business and he in his turn passed it on to his son Theo and his wife Rie Veldboer.

Following is a copy of the original marriage certificate of Gerhard Budde and Johanna Warning, as it is still kept in the family archives.

Gerard Budde-Johanna Warnink and children


Op den 30 Augustus1875 zijn voor den Ambtenaar van den Burgerlijken Stand der Gemeente Ootmarsum Provincie Overijssel, in naam der Wet door het Huwelijk vereenigd

Gerhard Hermann Budde van beroep horlogiemaker geboren te Nordhorn 30 September 1848 wonende te Ootmarsum Zoon van Johann Bernard Budde van beroep tapper woonachtig te Nordhorn en van Wilhelmina Frieling overleden te Nordhorn den 17 December 1873.

En Johanna Hermanna Warnink van beroep geen geboren te Ootmarsum den 26 Januari 1849 wonende te Ootmarsum Dochter van Hendrikus Warnink van beroep bakker woonachtig te Ootmarsum en van Euphemia van Benthem van beroep geen woonachtig te Ootmarsum.

(aantekeningen in de linker kantlijn van de Trouw-brief)

bij Gerhard Hermann Budde: overleden te  Ootmarsum 28 Augustus 1916

bij Johanna Hermanna Warnink: overleden te Ootmarsum den 26 Juni 1908 10 ½ uur


Namen der Kinderen Geboorteplaats Datum van Geboorte Aanmerkingen
Johan Gerhard Ootmarsum 3 Oct 1876 bakker Borne
Hendrikus Bernardus id 2 Jan 1878 z/b Ootm
Gerardus Johannes Aloisuis id 27 Dec 1879 Arnhem
Fredericus Johannes id 12 Feb 1882 bakker(onleesbaar)
Eufemia Wilhelmina Geertuda id 11 Aug 1884
Hermanus Jacobus id 31 Oct 1886
Theodorus Cornelis id 28 Aug 1889

(hand geschreven toevoeging)

Johannus Aloijsius Warnink bakker te Ootmarsum

Toeziend voogd Almelo 23 Juli 1908

NOTA Bij de aangifte van geboorte en sterfgevallen moet deze Trouw-brief vertoond worden.

At the time of Gerhard’s arrival in Ootmarsum, the family van Benthem was the local watchmakers. As we can see in the certificate above Johanna’s mother was a van Benthem. Could it be that Gerhard on his arrival started to work at the van Benthem’s workshop? Perhaps he later on even took over this business, because in the following years we only see the van Benthem’s as bakers (very successful ones I must say) and for the following 100 years we only come across the Buddes as watchmakers.

Next is an overview of the Budde family in 1916 when the estate of Gerhard and Johanna was divided.

Family overview as per 29 December 1916

  • Johan Gerhard Budde baker at Borne
  • Hendrikus Bernardus (Harry)  Budde watchmaker Ootmarsum
  • Gerardus Johannes Aloisius priest at Arnhem
  • Eufemia Wilhelmina Geertruida Budde she became the housekeeper of her brother Gerard.
  • Hermanus Jacobus Budde farmer Ootmarsum
  • Fredericus Johannes Budde baker Oldenzaal
  • Theodorus Cornelis Budde watchmaker Ootmarsum

After Gerhard’s death:

  • Hermanus Jacobus receives the farming estates
  • Theodorus Cornelis receives the shop and the house

They had obligations towards their siblings Harry and Eufemia (board and lodging, etc)

Pastor Gerard Budde

Gerardus Johannes Aloysius, born 27 December 1879., ordained  on 15-8-1906 and became  chaplain in Haaksbergen and two years later in  Arnhem. In 1921 he became parish pastor in Glanerbrug. He received national recognition for the work he did for  factory workers. He was inspired by Dr. Alfons Ariëns (1860-1828) , the founder of the R.K. Werkliedenvereeniging (The Catholic Workers Union). Gerard Budde interviewed him and published the history of this association in the magazine ‘Het Roer’, the monthly newspaper of the Catholic Workers Union (R.K. Arbeidersbeweging).   This was published in three articles during 1920/1921 under the title: “Uit de geschiedenis der Nederlandsche Katholieke Vakbeweging. Notes from this interview are kept in the archives of Alfons Ariens, who later became a special chamberlain of Pope Benedict the XV in Rome.

According to the obituaries, as a parish pastor Gerard founded new schools, a sisters house, a kindergarten and launched the start of 60 houses for the workers, he bought land where he planned a building for the workers union, he extended the church and was in the process of building a domestic sciences school.

Gerard  died suddenly on 2-10-1929, this resulted in several newspaper articles and an emotional outpouring in the places he had worked.

Another important story that was proudly told by the older members of the family was that at the time of Gerard Budde there were three priests in the family, apart from him there was a brother of his mother Gerardus Warnink (1848-1914). When he died Gerard Budde was the executor of his will – this document is still in the Budde archives.

The third clergyman was Hendrik Morselt (1887 – 1963?), he was the brother of the husband of the sister of his mother.  The family Morselt came from Borne where they had a clothes shop.

Other family members

Eufemia (Femia) became the housekeeper of Hendrik Morselt in Munsterscheveld near Emmen in Drenthe.  When her brother became pastor in  Glanerbrug she became his housekeeper. After his sudden death she moved back to Ootmarsum where she lived until her death in the Marktstraat.

Fredericus (Frits) had several jobs – among them as a baker in Oldenzaal  – before he moved for a short period to England, where he married Dora Sotebehr, who worked at the Dutch Embassy in London, but soon after that they  settled in Amsterdam. They had 4 children (Frits, Herman, Dora and Huib) and they  lived at the Ziesenkade in Amsterdam. Dora died young and their children were placed in orphanages, the boys in the Burgerweeshuis at the Kalverstraat. Herman was killed during the liberation celebrations in Amsterdam on 7 May 1945 (see below).

Harry (Henricus) was unmarried and lived with his parents however, he had sexual problems and had to leave the house. He went to the so called ‘ Sisters of the Geman Monastery’, they were the Benedictine Nuns of the Holy Sacrament who had fled Germany during the anti-catholic campaign under Otto von Bismarck and had established a monastery in 1875 in Oldenzaal.  After the death of their brother Gerard,  Theo arranged that Harry and Femia moved to Vasse, where they together  had a small house near the church. Harry became the parish gardener, he died and was buried in Vasse.

After his death Femia moved to  Ootmarsum where she had her own little unit in the the old people’s home ‘St Jozef’. In the 1950s, both Bob and Fred received a DFL1000 gift from their aunt Femia.

Tompoezen Oom

Herman, together with his wife Anna and his adopted son Johan, lived on the farm in Oud-Ootmarsum. I remember them from times when, as a kid, I spent holidays with my grandparents in Ootmarsum. Later on I heard from my father that Herman was also known by the nickname of Tompoezen oom (oom = uncle). He just loved vanilla slices (tompoezen) and the vanilla ended up all over him when he at old age munched these titbits. There is a nice story about his wife of the time the farm was connected to the telephone network. During the day Herman was working the land and Anna was in the house most of the times the telephone rang. She initially always panicked, quickly took off her apron (that’s what you do when you get visitors) and while shouting towards the phone to wait, she ran outside to warn Herman who had to come into the house to pick-up the phone.

Johan Budde had a bakery in Borne. They had 4 children Herman, Jo, Henk and Marie. Henk took over the bakery in Borne.  Herman moved to Amsterdam where he took over the bakery and catering business of J.G.Beunen on the Haarlemerdijk 156, which rapidly received a very high reputation. Herman was a very conservative catholic and most of his customers (including the local clergy) where catholic. The bakery was sold in 1970. My parents visited them after the war and in the morning Anny was caught cuddling Herman in his bedroom, they were severely spoken too and the incident was reported to Herman parents (Herman at that time would have been around 27 years old 🙂

Fredericus Joseph (Freddie/Herman) Budde – son of Frits Budde (born 1916)

The earliest information dates from 8 Oct 1929 when he writes a letter to his aunt Femia Budde from the “Missieschool Juvenaat H.Hart” in Bergen op Zoom to send his condolences regarding the death of her brother Gerard Budde, pastor at Glanerbrug. (Archives Paul Budde).

During the war he had to work under the German system of Arbeitseinsatz in Remscheid. At occassions he tried to (illegally) come back to his young family in Amsterdam. At one occasion he was betrayed by an NSBer but when he and a German soldier searched the house the German soldier looked away and acted as if he didn’t see him. He was back in Amsterdam at liberation.

Together with his 7 year old son Frits he joined the liberation celebrations at the Dam in Amsterdam (7 May 1945), when members of the German Navy fired shots into the crowd, it looked like Herman had put himself in front of Frits he was shot and fell on top of his son. Frits wondered around covered in blood and was reunited with his mother that evening, in all at least 31 people were shot dead and over 100 people wounded.

For more information see the website: Stichting Memorial voor Damslachtoffers mei 7 1945 (there is also a section in english) and includes photo and video material:

It was this organisation that finally achieved recognition for the victims and on 7 May 2016 monuments were unveiled on the Dam. Herman’s name was uncovered by his daughter Dora and son Frits. There were some 20 Budde’s present at the ceremony including me.

On the 6th of May, Theo the brother of Herman’s father Frits sends him a Red Cross telegram to congratulate with the liberation. He receives a return telegram on the 11 May with the message that Herman was killed. (Archives Paul Budde)

This is the Dutch text of the telegrammes

“Proficiat. Eindelijk vrij! Hier is alles goed. Hoe is het met jullie allemaal. Hopelijk ook goed en tot ziens. Hartelijke groeten oom Theo.”

Op de achterkant van dit telegram staat het antwoord genoteerd in potlood (waarschijnlijk opgeschreven door de telegram beambte in Ootmarsum??

“Dank voor uw brief allen hartelijk gefeliciteerd met bevrijding.

Onze Herman slachtoffer schietpartij Dam, tijdig bediend, begrafenis maandag. Dorus nog geen bericht.

Tot ziens Frits

11 mei 1945”

Hermann Löns in Ootmarsum

This famous and much-loved German heath-poet loved the city Hannover he lived in. He was born in 1886 in Kulm, West Prussia. He was an early environmentalist who even in his day wrote a poem entitled: ‘Heath not asphalt’. His favouriteregion was the Luneburger Heide. He wrote several poems about this vast heath landscape. He was also a very socially committed person who had his own political column in the local newspaper: Hannoverischen Allgemeinen Zeitung. In this he discussed social abuses and other unjust in the German empire.

The other side of his personality shows us a person on the run from the law. Several times his outspokenness got him into trouble. In a heated debate he once boxed an opponent’s ears for which he was summoned to appear in court. Furthermore, his second wife divorced him after he had ill-treated her, for which he also had to face court.

Whilst he was on the run from the law one of his contacts, Wilhelm Grashof from Neuenhaus, had arranged a safe house, for the then 46-year-old poet, just over the German border in Ootmarsum, at the family house of watchmaker Gerard Budde. He stayed there from May 22nd till June 1st 1912. While there he wrote, exhibiting obvious mood swings, eight letters in which he also details interesting aspects of the Budde family and the township of Ootmarsum. These letters were analysed and published in 1991 by Karl Koch, with whom I corresponded in 1999.

Karl says that while Löns was not a racist he had a fixed opinion on who were and weren’t his ‘blood brothers’. His descriptions of people who were different from him are often arrogant and condescending. He was not very tolerant of different cultures, religions and worldviews. Karl also mentions that he had little respect for the weaknesses and differences of others.

It is clear in his letters that his visit to Ootmarsum was not on a voluntary basis. From the first day he complains that he wants, at all costs, to return to Hannover. He also complains about his lodging and the noise and inconvenience that made it difficult for him to write poems. The rumour in Ootmarsum was that he was a German spy! Perhaps because he continuously talked about the prospects of war.

However, a few days later he writes that he has written seven serials, some of them very elaborate. After his stay in Ootmarsum he apparently travelled to nearby Oldenzaal, from where he took a train back to Hannover. From here he wrote several letters to ‘friends’ in Ootmarsum in which he raves over his visit to that place.

Enclosed is a literal translation of the various references in his letters to the Budde family and Ootmarsum.

(24/May/1912). I get on well with the local population and the landscape is hilly and varied. The residence, however, is unsuitable. Forget about working. Everything is damp and the bed! Men, that is a real horse-cloth…. My host-family is nice, food is good; but the people have not got a clue about intellectual labour, their wardrobe is in my room. The daughter potters constantly through this.  Apart from that I live on the ground floor, in the neighbourhood the school. In front of me the street with cobblestones, clattering of hoofs, carriage battering, barking dogs, gramophone concerts in the pub on the other side, lots of shop traffic in the house, etc. It is totally out of the question that I will be able to come to some real writing. Apart from the priest, one of the sons, simple, but a very intelligent gentleman, leaves tonight, I have got nobody to talk to. I will leave in 8 days. In the meantime I will have a look around in the area and watch the people and then I will move on again.

(25 May). It is cold today, especially in my room, on top of that, on the street, next door and above me constant noise and so I am torturing my brain over an essay, as I am not yet longing to something better. That’s when your letter arrived and I now feel much better. I am now, 4pm, visiting my friend Rika to have a chat with her. She is 8-years-old and the daughter of the publican outside the town, at whose place I everyday have my afternoon tea, which is also in this place excellent.

(28 May). At Whitsunday I worked in the morning and in the afternoon I walked with several young people through the heath and returned the next day through the wet moorlands…. Ootmarsum is, despite the fact that the surroundings are very much to my liking, totally unsuitable for me, as the contacts to spur me on are impossible.

(31 May)…the people, where I live, are fantastic, food is just what I like, but the house is unsuitable. It is very noisy in the house and it is impossible to change that…looking back, my visit has been very informative, already alone for the strange observations for which I still don’t have a full explanation. Otherwise I have been very productive and have written seven serials.

(1 June).. I live here with simple farm folk. The fact that these people eat meat, bacon, buckwheat pancakes with their work-fingers, doesn’t bother me, but the fact that my bed is very primitive, the bedroom damp, the towel the size of a handkerchief and the washing basin as small as a finger bowl, that there is no bathhouse in town, that is in the end even for a man who has lived (during his stays at the Luneburger Heide) for 4 months, in a wooden cabin, slept on hay and washed himself in the creek, impossible.

The then 22-year-old Theo Budde was at Whitsunday one of the ‘young people’ that walked with Löns over the heath. Theo’s daughter Annie Budde recalls the stories that her father had told her about this trip and there are also old family photos with Theo and Herman Löns, shot in the watchmaker’s workshop. In 1994 I visited this area with Annie. At the border in Neuenhaus is an inn called ‘ Zum Lönsberg.

Theo’s friend Johan Reuver en Hermann Löns continued to correspond with each other after the brief visit to Ootmarsum.

In 1914, Löns volunteered for the army at the outbreak of WWI. He was killed on 26th September 1914 during the German attack on Reims in France.

Theo Budde businessman and poet

As mentioned above it was Theo who continued the business that his father had established in Ootmarsum.  They also inherited the vegetable garden (hof) the family had in the Molenstraat. He was a watchmaker, jeweller and an antique dealer. His business instincts were famous and he was locally known as the Antiques-Jew – not because he was Jewish but because the Jews were renowned for their business skills. During the 1920s and 1930s he travelled around the Province of Overijssel and at the various farmhouses bought old crockery (some was still made of pewter). Sometimes he exchanged this ‘old rubbish’ for new posh crockery and he was on occasions thought to be mad for conducting this sort of business transaction. Theo was, in those days, one of the few people in town that went on a business trip to England. The whole town was talking about it. He had great stories to tell when he came back, such as the one where he mentioned that they spoke Twents in London – ‘way in for gaps and way out for gaps’ (gaps is the dialect expression for the ‘local men’ in Ootmarsum). He referred to the signs in London: ‘Way in for cabs, way out for cabs’.

Also for business he twice a year traveled to Amsterdam and stayed at that time with his brother Frits.

His wife Marie van Olffen came from Oldenzaal, a town not far from Ootmarsum. Her family were bakers. They got to know each other through a singing group and for many years continued their involvement in the local singing and dancing activities. Both were active in the local folkdance group (Boerendansers). Theo wrote many song texts for the annual local Siepelstad Revue (Siepelstad is the nickname of Ootmarsum, referring to siepels which are unions).


He was very much involved in establishing tourism in this perfectly preserved medieval town. One of his projects was to establish an original Los Hoes in Ootmarsum.  For this he established in 1927 a foundation committee. They were very successfully and already a year later they had raised $2100 and were able to buy a Los Hoes that was situated in Agelo and resembled it in Ootmarsum.

Theo Budde - Los Hoes

Currently tourism is by far the most important form of income for the local economy. Theo already at a very early stage  recognised the value of the old buildings; the original layout of the streets; and the many traditions that had luckily survived the changing times. He just loved his Ootmarsum. He was an active member of the Twentsen Schrieversboond. (the Twents writers guild).

Ootmarsum - Los Hoes

peroonsbewijs papa 1941

When in 1959 Theo died his youngest son, Dre worked at the State Mine Maurits in Geleen. In the following months he collected all of Theo’s poems and they were typed in the Twente language in the typing room of Maurits. They were collected in a simple publication – title; ‘ne gapse vol’ (a handful) – and were presented to his brothers and sisters at Sint Nicolas. Together with his brother Fred the bundle was republished for the family reunion to celebrate the 80th birthday of Theo’s eldest daughter Annie and the 110th anniversary of his birthday in August 1999. His poems are still recited at the various tourist and local activities in Ootmarsum. The latest publication as recent as 2020 in the Twente language magazine ‘Bodbreef’. There is seldom a new book published about this historic town, without a mention of his name, a line or a full text of one of his poems.

With other like-minded people in town he formed a core group that kept alive important traditions such as vloggelen at Easter ( a procession of people holding hands and singing two religious traditional Eastern songs while walking through town through farm house and certain buildings) during, for example, the difficult times of war.

His extensive people-network became very important during World War II when his son Herman was rounded up in 1943 for resistance work during the German occupation of Ootmarsum. He was able to organise that during the court trial in Utrecht Herman received the services of a translator – this despite the fact that he spoke fluent German. What he didn’t know was that his father had arranged for this translator to creatively translate Herman’s answers in such a way as to result in his acquittal. When he was arrested for the second time (for the same case) his father was able to arrange that he was put to work just over the border in Germany.

Immediately after the war refugees roamed through the land and at least one (his name was Arie)  stayed with the Budde’s in Ootmarsum, he came from one of the concentration camps. After his stay the house needed to be disinfected (see Flickr pics) . TBC was a big problem after the war and the poor physical state many people were in meant that there were a lot of sufferers.

Mien ole hoes

Theo traced the history of their parental house. It was built in 1710 by the local mayor van Niel and stood at that time, next to the town gate. The lane that skirts the garden was the east wall of the town. In Theo’s poems he expresses his love for this old house and mentioned the visit of the Bishop of Munster Bernhard van Galen (see also: The Treaty of Munster). In 1803 Derk Warnink bought the house. Tradition has it this was one of the well-off families in Ootmarsum. After Gerhard Budde married Johanna Warnink in 1875, they inherited the house. Here he started his watchmaking business, which was continued by his son and grandchild.

foro's budde middle photo

Front: Fien, Dre, Bob, Riet. L/R Rie,Marie, Theo,Herman,Suze,Fred.

t Hazelrot

In Wietmarschen the monastery had the political and economic powers and in Nordhorn, this was held by the Count of Bentheim. In Ootmarsum it was the Drost (bailiff) that held these powers. He governed from the Commanderie. Closely linked to this was the Mark-court. Marken (commons) developed from the age-old tradition of naoberschoppen (neighbourhood communities of 13 or 14 farmers). Originally democratic in nature, these naoberschoppen developed into the feudal system of marches – initially to regulate the use of natural resources such as the heath grounds that were used by the farming communities for fuel, fertilising and sheep. The court was dissolved during the French occupation in 1795. The properties belonging to the court were confiscated under commissioner G.J.Engels, which is how this place got its current name:  Engels tuin (garden).

Theodorus Budde built his new house in 1956 next to this old property, which still contains remnants of this court. He called his house ‘t Hazelrot’ an old name for this area, most probably because of the hazelnut trees that were pulled up. Annie lived in the house until her death in March 2009. The house was sold to a son of the neighbour and their first born was the first child ever born in the hiouse, later on that year.

Marie van Olffen died in 1964 in Groningen where, at that time,  her son Bob was a chaplain she was cared for by the sisters of  a local monastery.

Theo jr. and his wife Rie renovated the ‘olehoes’ in 1956 to its current state. The wind-vane on the roof shows the original building year of 1710 with the initials of its first owner van Niel. The foundation stone in the front façade has the initials of Theo and Marie and Theo and Rie. Furthermore a tube with the history of the house and family history information is built in behind it. Sandstone next to the garden gate holds the stylish initials TB. A beautiful lead-light in the staircase shows the watchmaker at work.

After the death of Theo jr in 1978, the business was continued by his wife and colleague Bert Mensink.

In 1980 the building was sold and this ended the 100-year period of Budde occupation of the house. Rie continued the antique business within the building but then moved to a smaller shop in the street behind it.

Bert took over the watch and clock making   business and moved that to the Oostwal. In 2014 his daughter Annemiek took over the business, she is also a silver and gold smith.

This clock workshop in Sydney reminded me of Opa's workshop, even the smell.

This clock workshop in Sydney reminded me of Opa’s workshop, even the smell.

 The house at the Marktstraat was sold to Ton Scholten he renovated it beautifully and and his sister Hanny Scholten opened here a luxurious shoe shop ‘Elle en Lui”.

In August 2004 a 12th century water well in the garden of the house was ‘rediscovered’. Dre Budde did remember the well and Annie mentioned the pump in the garden, which she remembered. The historic society dated the ‘Bentheimer stone’ well from the 12th century. During the restructuring the garden was transferred into a sculpture garden as part of the Ton Scholten galleries which are now dominating a large part of the Marktstraat.

Videoclips Ootmarsum

The town

Easter Saturday

Easter Sunday

Weerselo, Mander (tumuli), Ageler Es

Singraven Denekamp


The diaspora

After having lived for centuries in places not more than 30 kilometres apart from each other, the family situation changed dramatically with the following generations. A brief overview of some of the major developments of each of Theodoor’s children

  • Annie became a teacher and worked for several years in the 1950s in Dutch New Guinea. After that she settled in Ootmarsum in ‘t Hazelrot . Until her retirement she was managing director of a retirement village in Almelo, involved in a range of new developments in the care for the elderly. She died in March 2009.
  • Herman married Annie Velthuis and moved after the war to Vught and later on to Oss. He became a dedicated civil servant at the local councils of these two towns in Brabant. He died in 1977. They have three children, Paul, Monique and Rob. The last two moved away the furthest from all of the family Rob to Italy and Paul to Australia.
  • Suze became a nurse and helped bring me into the world. She married a colleague and friend of my father, Tiny Peeters from Escharen. They lived for many years in Dongen (Brabant) and retired in Den Bosch. They have four children: Mirjam, Ronald, Edith and Edwin.
  • Theo took over his father’s company, he married Rie Veldboer. He died in 1978.  Rie continued the antique business until her retirement, she died in 2007.
  • Bob was ordained as a Roman Catholic priest in 1953 and worked in several parishes in the northern provinces. He became a parish priest in the Frisian town of Delfzijl. He retired together with his housmate Annie Wiggers. Bob died in 2001.
  • Fred specialised in after-care work for prisoners for government agencies. He married Ton van den Bergh, who is distantly related to the Budde family that moved to Nijverdal (see: Moves to Ootmarsum). They lived in Nijmegen and the Hague before settling in Rosmalen (Brabant). They have three daughters: Michelle, Karin and Judith
  • Riet moved to Deventer, where she became a secretary to the director of the leading packaging company Thomassen & Drijver. She died at her home in Diepeveen in 1987.
  • Dre married Fien Hesp. Her father was like Theodoor, active in the ‘Twents’ writers guild. Dre became a human resources manger in the southern province of Limburg and later became a partner in the consultancy company Hay, they moved to Leersum in the centre of the country. They have three children Carlijn, Katja and Bas.

Herman Budde – van twente naar brabant


Theodorus’s second child was Herman Budde. He was born in Ootmarsum on the 1st of December 1920. He finished high school in Oldenzaal in 1937. These were the years of economic depression and he was ‘lucky’, with the help of his father, to get an unpaid position as a clerk at the town hall in Ootmarsum. A year later this was changed into a paid position at a salary of DFL100 per annum! During his spare time he studied for the various degrees necessary to progress his career as a public servant in local government – a career he would stick to all his life.

Hermans friends

Louis Johanink

Jo Hosthuis

Henny Hulshof (who provided lost of support to the family during Herman’s imprisonment)

Herman van Zuilenkom

He was unfortunate to be young at a time of great European turmoil. He was summoned for military service during the mobilisation of the Netherlands in 1938. In the end he only went into military service for a few months. He was stationed in the military barracks at Hoorn as a corporal of the 19th Infantry Regiment. When the Nazis conquered the Netherlands in May 1940, his Regiment was disbanded and later on he told me that they threw their weapons into the moat surrounding the barracks to make sure the Germans were not able to use them. He went back to Ootmarsum, where he pretty soon became involved in the resistance movement.

After the interruption of the war he finished his evening college.  In 1947 he applied for a position at the Council Chambers of Vught where he started work on January 1st 1948. Five years later he was able to improve his position by moving to the larger town of Oss. He specialised himself in internal affairs and archives – an area he remained involved in until his early death in 1978 at the age of 57.


Herman Budde

Herman was totally dedicated to the pursuit of freedom. It was impossible for him to accept the occupation of his country. This is also very clear in the few poems that he has written in these days. But it were not only poems he quickly became involved in the resistance. As early as May 1941 Herman was charged with destroying posters of the Dutch Collaborators Party (NSB).  In May 1943 he was betrayed by the (Dutch) town clerk of Oldenzaal when he passed on information regarding the upcoming confiscation of radio receivers in Ootmarsum. He was charged and imprisoned, first in Enschede and from June to September 1943 in concentration camp Vught (official name: Konzentrationslager Herzogenbusch – built by the Nazis in 1942/1943).

WWII data Herman Budde

Military examination 15November 1938
Start military service in Hoorn 12 January 1940
Start of German occupation of the Netherlands 9 May 1940
Long furlough 7 June 1940
1st Arrest Ootmarsum (prisons: Enschede/Almelo) 9 June 1943
Concentration camp Vught 26 June 1943
National prison Utrecht 10 September 1943
Release from prison 2 November 1943
2nd Arrest Ootmarsum (prison: Oldenzaal) 14 April 1944
Work transport to Germany (to Nordhorn) 17 April 1944
Fled Germany (from Melle) 30March 1945
Liberation of the Netherlands 5 May 1945

I have written a seperate book on this war period See: De oorlog van mijn ouders (in Dutch)


This imprisonment was also recorded by his later wife Annie Velthuis (she was at that stage not going out with him) in her war diary.  My mother’s father, Jan Velthuis had (illegally) kept their radio and they listened every night to Radio Oranje from London and passed the relevant information on to the mayor of Ootmarsum. She worked like Herman at the town hall. Both, listening to the radio and the passing on of information, were both ‘criminal’ offences, but as Herman, she had a similar dedication to freedom, which was stronger than the fear for punishment. Fortunately she was never caught and therefore, unlike her future husband, she didn’t have to go through the agony of imprisonment. However, she is therefore, in her own way, nevertheless a freedom fighter. This was recognised when part of her diary was published in the book ‘Ootmarsum 1940-1945’ and was a subject of an exhibition in Ootmarsum in 1990. A 2nd book was launched also accompanied with an exhibition, in April 2002. During that occasion she was called ‘The Anne Frank from Ootmarsum’ in one of the newspaper headlines.


Back in the prison camp, Herman, having been a civil servant, was given a job in the administration of the camp – an ideal place for him to continue his resistance work. By fiddling with the paperwork he was able to smuggle goods into the prisoners quarters. One famous story was that on a day in summer when he smuggled butter out of the store, a camp commander stopped him. The butter started to melt and was dripping down his legs. The officer fortunately didn’t notice it. Back with his co-prisoners he was put in cold water to curdle the butter. They picked the butter from his hairy legs in order not to waste one little bit.

He also had to work digging trenches around the camp with a shovel and wheelbarrow. Many of the undernourished prisoners didn’t have the physical strength to push a full wheelbarrow up the hill. If you didn’t work fast enough in the eyes of the Nazis, they pushed you and your wheelbarrow down from the wall into the trench and you could start all over again. In 1988 they turned the site of this concentration camp into a national museum.

The only other incident he ever mentioned in the camp happened at one of the many roll calls.

The horrors of a concentration camp

“When they announced a roll call you basically had to drop everything and get to the central square. A roll call could last for hours and could take place at any time of the day. On this occasion a couple of Jewish prisoners ran to the roll call. They were stopped by the military and asked if they couldn’t run faster, they had to go back and run again, they were stopped again and were asked why they didn’t cross the lawn because that would be quicker. They went back ran again over the lawn and were shot dead, because you were not allowed to walk on the lawn.“

From Vught Herman was transported to the prison in Utrecht (Wolvenplein) for interrogation. He stayed there from September till November 1943. The Germans wanted to know who else was involved in the resistance movement in Ootmarsum. While in prison, he was caught possessing his prisoner’s number badge which was sewed on his prisoner’s uniform in Vught. This incident was used against him in the interrogations. ‘Stealing of government property’ had the death penalty on it. They tried to intimidate him by putting him on several occasions in the “Death Cell”. He never ever spoke much about his particular experiences of this time, apart from the smelly toilet bucket that he hated, but it was clear this particular period had an everlasting effect on the rest of his life.

Number 2392

An amazing thing happened with this camp number badge. After the Germans had found the badge at the prison in Utrecht co-prisoner Ad Bal, noticed the piece of material on a table of one of the officers.  He ‘stole’ it and gave it back to Herman. I now have this number, framed as a small family treasure.

On November 2nd 1943 he went on trial in the German Obergericht (High Court) in The Hague His father had pre-arranged a German interpreter named Willy Kappelmeier. Herman actually spoke fluent German, but his father had arranged that the interpreter would translate Herman’s information to his advantage. This was more or less hand signalled to him when he entered the courtroom. Thanks to the creative translations and arguments regarding the young age of the prisoner, Kappelmeier was able to influence the outcome. Herman later on mentioned that the most beautiful words he ever heard were:  ‘Sie sind entlassen‘ (you are released). Willy Kappelmeier remained a friend of the family and was widely praised for his cunning translation work.

Back in Ootmarsum however, the Nazi collaborator and town clerk of Oldenzaal was not pleased with the verdict and continued his campaign against my father. He got him arrested again on 14th of April 1944. The Germans had been unable to capture the resistance fighters in Ootmarsum and wanted to use Herman to get their names. They did not get them. He was named “Staatsgevaarlijk” (dangerous to the state) and had to leave the country. This resulted in forced labour. On 17th of April he was sent to the textile company Ludw. Povel & Co in Nordhorn and the flower mill Schmuck near Melle.

After his release in November 1943, he was again arrested in April 1944 and send to Germany as a forced laborour. Here he worked at the textile company Ludw. Povel & Co in Nordhorn and the flower mill Schmuck near Melle

During this period he had regular contact with his family in the Netherlands, but he was not allowed to visit them. In 1945 he used the chaotic situation in Germany and on the 30th of March fled back to the Netherlands. After the war, on November the 2nd he was officially awarded with the freedom’s medal of Ootmarsum.

Back to the original reason for Herman’s capture: In the end the Germans only confiscated 128 radio receivers (not including the one from Annie Velthuis’s family) these radios finally left Ootmarsum on 3rd of August 1944.


When Herman was employed by Ludw. Povel & Co he most probably didn’t know of the close relations that existed between the Povel and Budde family a century earlier.

We have to go back to his great-grandfather Berend Budde (see: Nordhorn). His son son Friedrich Anton Budde was born in 1807, Sophia Brück is mentioned as the Godmother of the child.

Friedrich Anton became the first Budde citizen of Ootmarsum. Here he married in 1832 – Johanna Maria ten Bokkum. Fourty years later Herman’s grandfather also moved from Nordhorn to Ootmarsum.

Sophia had a brother Ludwig Bruck, who inherited the Kistemaker & Bruck carriage business.  He was one of the guardians of his sister Sophia’s children, which included Anton Joseph (AJ) Povel [1823-1880].  The children’s other guardian was Ludwig and Sophia Bruck’s first cousin, Mathias Kistemaker, who lived across the road.

Basically, Ludwig and Mathias set up the Kistemaker & Povel cotton business for the former’s nephew/ward and one of the latter’s sons.  Kistemaker & Povel survived until 1871, when the principals split up.  AJ’s part became Povel & Gruter and the Kistemaker part became Gebr Kistemaker and was eventually taken over by a son in law, who changed the company name to his own – B Rawe.  Rawe’s was acquired by Norgatex, the last textile company in Nordhorn which eventually also collapsed in 2001.

AJ died in 1880, Mr Gruter was paid off [or rather his debt to the company was largely written off] and ownership passed to AJ’s widow, who closed the company for the best part of a year.  AJ’s company was liquidated in 1881 and a new company, wholly owned by his widow, was registered in 1882 as Ludw. Povel & Co.  Ludwig was AJ’s second son. Mother and son entered into an agreement whereby she transferred ownership over to her son in stages.  In 1944 this company as a forced labourer employed Herman during WWII.

In 1969, Ludwig Povel & Co was acquired by the Gerrit van Delden company.  The Van Deldens were a large Nordhorn cotton manufacturers, established before Kistemaker & Povel, and its owners were actually Protestant.  The Povel company continued as a separate entity within van Deldens until 1976, when it was completely absorbed and the parent company became known as Povel and Van Delden.  At this stage the factories were closed and demolished and only the name remained.


Herman’s wife Annie Velthuis was born in Ootmarsum, on the 2nd of October 1924, she was the eldestdaughter of builder Jan Velthuis (1889 – 1963) and Hendrika Sleiderink (1899 – 1951), her grandfather Herman Velthuis (1857-1952), was for a long time the oldest inhabitant of Ootmarsum, After Annie  4 other children were born: Lies (1926) , Ida (1927-1971), Ben (1928 – 1987) and Jan (1939).

Jan (sr) made local history when in 1909 he drove the first car ever made in Ootmarsum. It drove on bicycle wheels and was built together with the local bicycle maker Marinus Johannink.

Herman of course knew Annie from his childhood and teenage years in Ootmarsum, but she was 4 years younger and that is a ‘big’ difference when you are young. They got to know each other better during and after the war, Annie also worked at the Council Chambers. They started to go out after the war, after Herman broke up his relationship with his girlfriend of that time. They married on the 3rd of May 1949 and moved to Vught in that same year. Both were very active in the local society in Den Bosch of people who had ‘emigrated’ from Twente to Brabant.

Herman Budde 1975


Brabant is a province in the south of the Netherlands. Its history is linked with Burgundy, Habsburg and Spain. Long before Holland had its Golden Age, Brabant together with Flanders formed the economic centre of western Europe during the 13th and 14th century.  These two provinces instigated the process that later on led to the unity of the various Dutch provinces. After the 80-year freedom war the southern part became a colony of the Republic of the Netherlands – a situation that lasted until the French Revolution in 1790s, when all of the Netherlands was occupied. Many of the restrictions on religion (Roman Catholic) and education were only slowly removed in the first half of the 19th century. This ‘isolation’ kept some of the specific Burgundy culture alive and makes Brabant different from the rest of the Netherlands.


Vught is only a few kilometres from the famous heart of the capital of the province Noord (North) Brabant, ‘s-Hertogenbosch  (Den Bosch). Vught is one of the oldest towns in Brabant operating road tolls to the city of Hertogenbosch as far back as the year 1006 (Fughte). The local castle Maurick, played a key role, as headquarters of the Staten (later Republic of the Seven United States of the Netherlands) captain-general Prins Frederik Hendrik, in the 80 year war (1568-1648) that ended with the Treaty of Munster.

It must have been more than a coincidence that my parents settled in Vught after they got married. In this very same town Herman had only a few years before been imprisoned in the infamous concentration camp.

In 1952 Herman became one of the founders and first chairman of newly established youth association JEEP.

I was born here on Friday the 8th of September 1950 at 6.40 am. Two other children were born Monique in 1952 in Vught and Rob in 1954 in Oss.

Paul Monique Rob 1956

Het weer op vrijdag 8 september 1950 te De Bilt







15.4 °C







20.3 °C







10.6 °C

Zon, bewolking & zicht


Duur zonneschijn



Gemiddelde snelheid



= 4 Bft

Rel. zonneschijnduur



38 %

Maximale uurgemiddelde snelheid



= 5 Bft

Gem. bedekkingsgraad


Maximale stoot


Minimaal zicht


Overheersende richting




Relatieve luchtvochtigheid





82 %

Gemiddelde luchtdruk



I was the 18,000th inhabitant of Vught and this fact got me into the newspapers right from birth. Weight 6 pounds, 80 grams.

In 1953 the family moved to Oss, a small but buzzing, provincial town in Brabant. Herman was offered a position at the local council and over the years worked his way up. He continued his work for the youth and also here became the chairman this time of the youth association of the Parish of Gerardus Majella  and enjoyed many good years, making friends for life. Annie became involved in the newly-established Catholic parish of Don Bosco in their neighbourhood and was active in social work.


This town has a rich history, dating back to prehistoric times, when the area north of the current town was inhabited by small farming communities. Discoveries indicate trade during the Roman times. The reasonably prosperous town received its city privileges from Countess Johanna van Brabant in 1399. During the 80-year-war the town was situated on the border between Gelre and Brabant and suffered tremendously due to pilferage, ransoms, poverty and despair. The following period as a colony under the States General was not much better. In 1871 Jurgens (Unilever) started the production of margarine. This was the beginning of the town’s industrialisation, which has provided it with many economic advantages.

15oss in 1836 krt

Live was not all that complicated in the 1950s. Everybody was working hard, rebuilding and recovering from the recent war, money was not plentiful, but this was improving year by year. Herman took on some extra work reorganising the council archives of the neighbouring town of Megen. The television arrived in 1959, just in time for the Olympic games in the following year. The first car made its entrance in the family in 1964.

The sixties were turbulent and exciting – the older generation was still partly stuck in century-old traditional ways of culture, work and religion and their kids ready for a change. Generation clashes took place also in our Budde family but were all resolved. New thought processes were set in motion instigated by Herman’s family, during specially organised family retreats. This certainly made the transformation through these, for them very confusing, times easier. Pope Johannus XXIII , John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King as well as the Beatles left everlasting impressions on both young and old.


After their high school the different personalities and directions in life became clearer. A school counselling session at the age of 15 indicated for me a career in business – spot on. Monique became involved in social work studies and is still very active in this area. Rob went to Drama College and he currently is a leading ‘spectacolo’ director in Italy.

Travelling has always been an important factor. The annual family holidays in Italy and Yugoslavia were amongst the highlights of the year. Monique and her husband Geert travelled widely through Central Asia and after that spent two years in Zambia as foreign aid workers. In 1978, their son Bas was born in this African country. Eventually they followed the family roots back to Twente and have been living there now for over 20 years. Their daughter Maayke was born there in 1980.

Rob and his first partner Sabine made a home out of their car and travelled to Italy. Through hard work and hardship, they were able to overcome cultural and language differences and win the hearts of often very chauvinistic Italians. Rob finally settled in Rimini where he, in 1992,  married his wife Grazia. Alex was born in 1996.

And I…. went the furthest of them all. But before that we first settled in Oss. I married Louise van Daal the daughter of the baker in Mill. We met at college in 1967 and went on from there. We married in 1972. Before that we both spent a year in London finishing a practical year of our business college. We travelled widely through Europe, from Russia to Greece. I worked in sales and marketing for Rank Xerox before starting my own company in marketing and communication in 1978. History has always been my major hobby. In Oss I became involved in local history, the local museum, heritage activities and I published a range of articles and historical publications.

Merlijn was born in 1975, Erwin in 1977 and Ravian another two years later. We moved twice from a flat to a house and finally to a historic villa in town.

Bucketty 1999 Painting by Trevor Winn

We packed the family up and moved to Australia in September 1983. A booming communications business evolved from here and the history hobby continued by exploring Aboriginal culture and by following the tracks of the first convicts, who build a 220km road that skirts the bottom of our property in Bucketty, a jewel of a rural retreat in the Lower Hunter Valley north of Sydney. I am the initiator and current chairman of the Convict Trail Project – a community-based initiative to restore, maintain and promote the Great North Road.

The Convict Trail

The 240km convict-built Great North Road was constructed between 1826 and 1834 to provide an overland route between Sydney and the Hunter Valley. At the time it was the largest public work yet undertaken in the colony and remains one of the major engineering feats of Australia’s convict era.

Latest update 2012

So where is everybody now?

My mother, Annie Budde still lives in Oss in the house they bought in 1953. Apart from walking problems she remains in good health and is enjoying life to the fullest

Monique and Geert had their 25th wedding anniversary in 1999 and made a fascinating trip to Egypt with their family. Bas is a physiotherapist in Zeist and married Manja in 2011. After travelling the world from Italy to Indonesia and Australia, Maayke started to study Chinese at the University of Maastricht. After that she studied and worked for several years in China. She now works in Haarlem and lives in The Hague.

Rob and Grazia are busy with their business (Magina), organising conferences and events.  Their son is Alex,who in 2012 started a study year in America.

The Bucketty Buddes are all in good shape. Louise and I are busy with our telecommunications research and consultancy business and in 2009 Paul became a special adviser to the UN Broadband Commission for Digital Development. Louise took op history and art history studies at the University of Sydney. They both travel a lot. After Merlijn finished her university studies in Tourism Management she travelled through SE Asia and Australia. After her marriage with Gavin Nicholson (pilot at Virgin) she moved to Brisbane where their first baby Abigail was born in 2007, followed by sisters Hannah (2009) and Grace (2011).

Erwin finished his environmental sciences studies and started a job as environmental office at the Road and Traffic Authorities (RTA). In 2003 he was offered a job for this organisation in Wagga Wagga. After his marriage to Carolive Daleh they moved to Wagga Wagga. Here Erwin runs the local business of Environmental Consultants NGH and Caroline has here her own dentist practice. They have two children Sebastian (2006) and Cassie (2008).  The creative soul in this family is Ravian, he finished his graphic design studies and is teaching at a graphic design college in Sydney and separately also runs his own business.. After his extensive travels he met Zohar Edelhstein. They married in 2006 and  daughter Aiyana was born in 2007 and their son Neriya in 2010.


Cassie, Erwin, Caroline, Aiyana, Paul, Sebastian, Louise, Ravian, Zohar, Merlijn, Abigail, Gavin

It is in the special place of Bucketty that most of the Budde history has been written. This would not have been possible without the global communications advantages that have only become available since the last few years, thanks to the Internet.